Re: [opensuse-buildservice] rubygem hoptoad_notifier
On 07/23/2013 07:50 PM, Stephan Kulow wrote:
OBS use rubygem hoptoad_notifier. But this gem is deprecated (and 2
>years unmaintained). But the successor - gem airbrake - is distributed
>under non-free (as libre) license.
https://github.com/airbrake/airbrake/issues/140 - nothing came out of if
it, they want their name in the

>So the question is: do we really want to continue to use it?
Yes, we want to. Do you have a problem with hoptoad_notifier?

The problem with Airbrake is its license. Problem with hoptoad_notifier is that, it is abandoned.

I will quote main part of the license of Airbrake:
*****************
Subject to the terms of this notice, Exceptional Software Inc grants you a
nonexclusive, nontransferable license, without the right to
sublicense, to (a) install and execute one copy of these files on any
number of workstations owned or controlled by you and (b) distribute
*verbatim copies* of these files to third parties. As a condition to the
foregoing grant, you must provide this notice along with each copy you
distribute and you must not remove, alter, or obscure this notice. All
other use, reproduction, *modification*, distribution, or other
exploitation of these files is strictly prohibited, except as may be set
forth in a separate written license agreement between you and Exceptional
Software Inc. The terms of any such license agreement will control over this
notice. The license stated above will be automatically terminated and
revoked if you exceed its scope or violate any of the terms of this
notice.

Emphasis are mine.
This license does not allows you to make modification to code. Which is problem when you have security bug there. You could not fix it and release it, you have to wait for official release.
And other problems can be hidden from my IANAL eyes.

And of course it is non-standard license, which will need in Fedora approval from Fedora-legals.

--
Miroslav Suchy
Red Hat, Software Engineer