Re: [opensuse-buildservice] Increasing the throughput of Open Build Service (OBS) building packages in obs with fusion io pci-e drive card
  • From: Claudio Freire <klaussfreire@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2012 12:43:04 -0300
On Mon, Dec 10, 2012 at 12:38 PM, Jan Engelhardt <jengelh@xxxxxxx> wrote:
I tell you, make -l is awesome magic; it sort of autobalances your
obs process tree between "1 worker using 24 gccs" and "24 workers using
1 gcc each" roughly. Needless to say, this requires that one always
looks at the *host's* load, so make -l out of the box is useless for
VM builds ATM.

Cool magic, I didn't know it.

So that's why ARM builds take forever?

ARM is emulated. (At least I can't spot any arm-type workers in
build.opensuse.org/monitor)

Exactly, so make -l only sees VM load, not host load. For all others,
it should see host load since last I checked OBS worked on a chroot,
not a VM for "native" builds. So when there are many arm jobs on a
host, the host slows to a crawl. Makes sense.