Re: [opensuse-buildservice] Deltarpm generation and size limits
On Sat, Aug 11, 2012 at 07:04:12PM -0300, Claudio Freire wrote:
I was wondering why I was getting so few deltarpms for big package
updates (like libreoffice), and I went and checked the source[0]

It turns out that in line 32 it removes the drpm if its size is more
than half the non-delta size.

Thing is, this criterion is really ill-suited for big RPMs (which is
where deltas save the most bandwidth), since a DRPM on libreoffice
could be more than half the non-delta size, but still save
considerable bandwidth (hundreds of MB).

So... why not use a different threshold?

I propose 80% for packages bigger than 200k, and 50% for smaller packages.

Yes, we could do that. The drawback is that it also takes a lot of time
to reassemble the rpm from the deltarpm (the payload has to be compressed
again, an operation that isn't cheap), so I used a fixed percentage.

Cheers,
Michael.

--
Michael Schroeder mls@xxxxxxx
SUSE LINUX Products GmbH, GF Jeff Hawn, HRB 16746 AG Nuernberg