Re: [opensuse-buildservice] Compression format for images build
  • From: Adrian Schröter <adrian@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 14 Jul 2012 13:15:13 +0200
Am Samstag, 14. Juli 2012, 16:52:11 schrieb Xin Wang:
Hi all,

When I'm trying to uncompress images built by OBS (e.g. [1]) in
Windows, 7-Zip, PeaZip and WinRAR all fails. 7-Zip just failed to
recognize the tar ball, and WinRAR complained with message 'sparse
file is not supported'.

After some searching, I find this bug report for 7-Zip[2]. It seems
that sparse tar package is not supported in 7-Zip either.

I saw from here[3] that image compressing method is hard coded in
build_kiwi.sh, and using '-S' option for tar cmd.

Can this option be controlled by project config?

no, it can not atm. The best solution would be if kiwi would take over
this part.

So that appliances
which with Windows users as one of main audiances can be more friendly
(I'm buiding one now). It will be inconvenient if users have to use
GNUWin[4] or Cygwin tools to uncompress the image, especially for
non-tech ones.

Yes, it should work easily for windows users. On the other side, we must avoid
that without sparse support the image sizes do explode. I can not remember
the details anymore, but we had the case that IIRC EC2 images were way to large
without. Interesting question is why ... shouldn't a compression algorithm
compress
plenty zeros nicely?

Best Regards,

[1]