[opensuse-buildservice] Re: qemu Cross Compilation Instructions
  • From: Troy Telford <ttelford.groups@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2012 12:00:28 -0600

On 2012-06-21 06:36:56 +0000, Adrian Schröter said:
available here? Some debugging here may give some insight ..

the binfmt_misc kernel module is loaded.

/proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc exists, and has the expected 'register' and 'status' files.

If I manually register the various binfmt entries (using /usr/lib/build/qemu-reg from an opensuse installation as a guide), it looks like qemu starts running.

However - I don't know why the binfmt_misc handlers aren't being configured by the obs worker -- unless, of course, they aren't configured by the worker at all.

I also don't know where the binfmt_misc handlers are being setup for a worker. Since running them manually works, I'm yet sure what the problem could be - permissions, maybe, but I'm just guessing at this point.

I'll see if I can figure it out, but if I get a pointer in the right direction, I'd be grateful.

It appears that a script 'qemu-binfmt-conf.sh' needs to be installed natively on the machine into /usr/sbin. (It's in the qemu-linux-user pkg)

the setup works in the same way on local build as on the servers. So
something must be different on your installations.
I have to admit that I have not tested the workers on SP2 yet ...

It appears that SP2 works fine for F17 & its 'arm' arch (using armv5el as the arch in OBS) I'm not sure if I can build the 'armhfp' arch for F17, but Fedora's 'arm' as arm5el in OBS is a start.

The next part of the message is largely a log of what I've done - in case somebody else is trying to figure this out as well.

(ie. http://xkcd.com/979/)

I'm not familiar with any ARM arch, so the difference between armv5el & armv7l is an unknown.

As is the difference between the architectures between distros - for example, I have no idea what ARM flavor should be used for what Fedora calls 'armhfp' - armv7l, armv7hl?

I assumed that what Fedora calls 'armhfp' was an ARMv7 flavor; however, when QEMU is fired up & tries to execute RPM, it dies:
[51/53] preinstalling rpm...
[52/53] preinstalling rpm-libs...
[53/53] preinstalling rpm-sign...
initializing rpm db...
qemu: uncaught target signal 11 (Segmentation fault) - core dumped
/usr/lib/build/init_buildsystem: line 233: 14384 Segmentation fault chroot $BUILD_ROOT rpm --initdb

I don't know if the segfault is due to a QEMU issue, if I'm emulating the wrong processor arch, or something else entirely at this point.
--
Troy Telford