[opensuse-buildservice] Solution for compiling kernel modules for openSUSE:Tumbleweed (and Kernel:stable)

Originally posted in
http://forums.opensuse.org/english/get-technical-help-here/tumbleweed/474524-solution-compiling-kernel-modules-opensuse-tumbleweed-kernel-stable.html

Hi,

I don't know if this is the right place to post.

The "problem" concerns various scopes
- Tumbleweed
- Kernel(:stable)
- Open Build Service (OBS)

Currently it is not possible to compile kernel modules for openSUSE:Tumbleweed
(and Kernel:stable) for the i586 arch on OBS.

Have a look eg. at
- https://build.opensuse.org/project/show?project=multimedia%3Aaudio%3AKMP
-
https://build.opensuse.org/project/show?project=Virtualization%3AVirtualBox_Tumbleweed

For now the entry for i586 reads "unresolvable":
nothing provides kernel-desktop-devel = 3.3.2-20 needed by kernel-syms,
nothing provides kernel-pae-devel = 3.3.2-20 needed by kernel-syms,
nothing provides kernel-xen-devel = 3.3.2-20 needed by kernel-syms

The reason is that the project configs for openSUSE:11.4/standard, on which
Kernel:stable depends, and openSUSE:12.1/standard, on which openSUSE:Tumbleweed
depends, includes the line

ExportFilter: \.i686\.rpm$ i686

New kernels are built with "BuildArch: i686" on %ix86, the ExportFilter config
makes it impossible for other packages to find the proper devel-packages -
kernel-default is still build for i586.

I've created a sample environment on OBS with
- https://build.opensuse.org/project/show?project=home%3Amunix9%3AKernel%3A11.4
-
https://build.opensuse.org/project/show?project=home%3Amunix9%3AKernel%3ATumbleweed

This projects aggregates the problematic packages and contains the project
config line

ExportFilter: \.i686\.rpm$ i586

Now kernel modules are built fine, eg. for virtualbox
https://build.opensuse.org/project/monitor?project=home%3Amunix9%3AVirtualization

On openSUSE:Factory (on which eg. Kernel:HEAD depends) it works already fine,
because
the appropriate line "ExportFilter: \.i686\.rpm$ i686" is missing.

If I'm right, then a global solution would make sense, to allow also other
projects to build proper kernel modules.

Ciao,
Paolo