Re: [opensuse-buildservice] link versus aggregate in light of current events
  • From: Pascal Bleser <pascal.bleser@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 May 2012 11:46:24 +0200
On 2012-05-02 09:27:47 (+0200), Mathias Homann <admin@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
now that building has started again, how about the discussion about link vs.
aggregate starts again, too...
I'm looking at the status page, and I see that almost half of the page is
full
of kernels being built.
Why is that? Because people forked them.
As far as I can understand, there are two reasons for forking a package
instead of aggregating it:
1. you are making changes to it
2. you made changes to a different package that is used during build
Am I right with that?

Yes, but your wording above is a bit misleading ("because people
forked them"): it is also frequently the case that you just want
to build the same package, without any changes at all, but
against different versions of dependencies.
That is a situation that requires linking rather then
aggregating (if you aggregate, you'd most likely end up with
ABI incompatibilities at runtime).

That's really the trouble with aggregating: you don't know
whether it's safe or not, because it depends on the other
packages in the same project. If someone adds e.g. a newer
version of a library that is used to build the aggregated
package in the same project, it suddenly has side effects at
_runtime_, for the users (rather than at build time, if there
are any API incompatibilities).

The only chance of making it more robust and predictable would
be to track hashes of information about the dependencies that
were used to build the original package (the one you'd aggregate
to) and let the build fail if those don't match in the package
that has the _aggregate. But most probably not quite as simple
as it sounds :)

cheers
--
-o) Pascal Bleser