Re: [opensuse-buildservice] overwhelmed by llvm builds?
On 4/23/2012 3:13 PM, Adrian Schröter wrote:
Am Montag, 23. April 2012, 16:02:25 schrieb Claudio Freire:
On Mon, Apr 23, 2012 at 3:51 PM, Greg Freemyer<greg.freemyer@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
People tend to branch it instead of adding an _aggregate so a change in the
original package triggers lots of other packages.

Regards.

It's down to 23 builds 4 hours later, so at least they are not in an
infinite loop.

If trying to recover some OBS resources, llvm seems like a package
worth trying kill off some branches / build repos.

I think the problem is that the wiki recommends not to use aggregates,
which seems counterintuitive.

aggregates are indeed only recommended for very extreme cases. And you need
know exactly the disadvantages of it.

In best case just build against the other repository, so build against
devel:tools:compiler/$repo instead of copying the binaries. It does not
waste disk space, does not require re-signing and will not break when the
other packager decides to play with dependencies.

use a branch, when you need build it in a different way (eg. for another
distribution or with some source change).

bye
adrian

With either aggregates or links, if it builds in my project foo, and I retain my own mirrors of the oss, non-oss, updates, and foo repos that will never go away, and I have all my servers configured with only my mirrors of those 4 repos as install sources, then I know every package that is even available, is and always will be installable with no possible worry.

No possibility of some other random project/repo changing something, or disappearing altogether, and making any of my packages uninstallable.

That is why I have links and aggregates, and really only links or even fully standalone manual copies.

Repos and packages that disappear are unusable except for development and copying to your own project/repo that you can prevent from disappearing.

--
bkw