Re: [opensuse-buildservice] Reworking the software search, part II
  • From: Jos Poortvliet <jos@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 7 Apr 2012 18:15:38 +0200
On Mon, Mar 26, 2012 at 9:55 AM, Lars Müller <lmuelle@xxxxxxx> wrote:
On Mon, Mar 26, 2012 at 08:41:52AM +0200, Thomas Schmidt wrote:
[ 8< ] superfluous fullquote pruned
I think our goal should be to empower users and expose the power of OBS
(and
the work the packages there do!) to them while of course protecting
them/properly warning them when something goes wrong.

We have three 'levels of officialness' to packages. The packages build in
home
are usually for testing or private use. Note that sometimes they are meant
to be widely used  -some upstream projects use home projects to distribute
their software, see quipzilla I recently blogged about [1]. So while we
should warn users of the potential unstable and even dangerous nature of
home projects, it should be not too hard to get there. Maybe a way of home
projects to signify their goal ("just for my testing" vs "meant for general
consumption") would be useful at some point.

Second level are the devel projects. Again, they can be meant for testing
but often they are absolutely supposed to provide extra or more up to date
software to end users. Examples are the GNOME and KDE extra and updated
release repo's, the Games repo etcetera. Hiding them too much is absolutely
bad: they are a major value of openSUSE.

Then we have of course our official, tested, released software. IF an user
is
searching for something, this should always be on top.

I propose to build up the UI to expose these three levels explicity, with
the first two ALWAYS visible. Devel projects are a tad messy so for that we
need to think of a way to expose them in a reasonable way.

What to show could be something like this:

Stable version [a]
Testing version [b]
    devel project name (more testing packages) [c]
(unofficial packages) [d]

It's not easy to detect the nature of a devel project. So I can't detect
automatically
if it's a playground or a reviewed extension to a distribution.
Technically I was told that it's on the same level as home projects, because
the
commits don't get reviewed on checkin like it's done in the official distros
and Factory.

I agree it would be nice to have a line 'devel release' which provides a
newer version.

The information must be in the OBS.  I once tried to push Samba from
network:samba:TESTING and Coolo rejected it as it was not from the devel
project.

So Coolo knows - maybe it's just in his head :D

Cheers,

Lars
--
Lars Müller [ˈlaː(r)z ˈmʏlɐ]