Re: [opensuse-buildservice] Reworking the enduser software search part III, Appstore
On 26.03.2012 10:36, Ludwig Nussel wrote:
Thomas Schmidt wrote:
after reworking the software search part of obs which should be ok now,
we focused on creating an app-store for browsing applications by category.

Check out the first version here: http://software.opensuse.org/packages

Please tell me what you think about it and have a nice weekend :-)

Well, looks nice but it's counterproductive as it doesn't show what's
actually available for the distro I have installed. Just click on
'games' for example. It shows a dump of the games project in obs but
only a fraction of those packages is actually in the distro repo.
Sure there's the warning about unsupported packages etc but that only
makes sense for the actual search where the user explicitly enters what
he is looking for. When browsing the software the interface shouldn't
show the icons for the unsupported stuff in the first place though.
We really need to push and encourage people to submit their packages
into the official channel to make sure everything actually fits together.
Requiring a package in the official channel as precondition to getting
it listed in the nice UI hopefully provides some motivation for the
maintainer to the get the package in shape and submit it.

Hi,
that's a wrong impression. The current app browser shows only apps included in
openSUSE Factory.
It's based on:
http://download.opensuse.org/factory/repo/oss/suse/setup/descr/appdata.xml.gz
I share your opinion that the appstore should only show supported stuff and so
encourage
maintainers to submit their packages to the official Factory channel.

Greetings

--
Thomas Schmidt (tom [at] opensuse.org)
openSUSE Boosters Team