Re: [opensuse-buildservice] Reworking the software search, part II
  • From: Martin Seidler <pistazienfresser@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2012 20:44:48 +0100
Dear Thomas, hello list,

I think the revamping is a great idea and I appreciate your work and effort but I think this new search still has it difficulties and problems.

Am 13.03.2012 19:38, schrieb Patrick Shanahan:
* Thomas Schmidt<tom@xxxxxxxxxxxx> [03-13-12 12:07]:
On 12.03.2012 18:26, Patrick Shanahan wrote:
* Thomas Schmidt<tom@xxxxxxxxxxxx> [03-12-12 11:44]:
Please check the new search at:
http://software.opensuse.org/search/find
and see an example app page here:
http://software.opensuse.org/package/kopete

Please let me know what you think of the current state.
Very nice and everything is presented rather than having to specify
looking for other than the main repo's. Perhaps a notice/warning for the
unknowing about the stability/experimental characteristics of the not
*main* repo's, maybe even a *tagging* of the repo's that are *not*
main-line supported??
I added such a warning now, with the option for the user to skip it the next
time.
Tks, I looked and like the presentation.

I wonder that I do not see "Tumbleweed" ??

I think it is still mixed up with openSUSE 12.1.

Compare:
https://features.opensuse.org/310986

And now you could not even guess/see that the packages are really build for Tumbleweed and not for 12.1.

In addition to that you do not see the file names.

So it will be easier for the packages that are already easy to search with the YaST Software Manager.

But for the cases software search would be a help now - an other solution would be needed.

Example (maybe I am wrong?):

Kernel module r8168
(I think it has to be for the right kernel version number, kernel flavor and openSUSE version)

Please make a try to find a fitting one (and especially if there is one) with

http://software.opensuse.org/search/searchresult?q=r8168
against
http://software.opensuse.org/search?q=r8168&baseproject=openSUSE%3A12.1

for the case on

uname -a
Linux linux-x9yw 3.1.9-1.4-desktop #1 SMP PREEMPT Fri Jan 27 08:55:10
UTC 2012 (efb5ff4) x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

The new search may seem easier for me at the beginning as I could better choose the modules fitting to a kernel flavor. But if you do not look at the linked URL I will not be able to see that the kernel version number does not fit.

And before this change it was only puzzling/difficult that the Tumbleweed packages are filed under "openSUSE 12.1" - with the new design it is almost impossible to notice.
I guess this would lead to many systems messed up in a wild Tumbleweed/12.1 mixture...

Regards

Martin

--
openSUSE profile: https://users.opensuse.org/show/pistazienfresser