Re: [opensuse-buildservice] EPEL Availability as an extra repository ?
2011/11/30 Adrian Schröter <adrian@xxxxxxx>:
Am Dienstag, 29. November 2011, 18:53:20 schrieb Nelson Marques:
Hi all,

By any means, is there any possibility to have Fedora EPEL as a
repository we can use for EL builds ? The availability of this
software repository would most likely be a big plus for new users who
want to get familiarized with OBS and considering the market
penetration of RHEL, could be an interesting option.

Adrian et al, would this be a possibility ?

Without checking, I think it would be possible license wise.

However, isn't it a permanently moving target ?

Hi Adrain,

I'm not sure on how EPEL works, but from the activity I see around, it
suggests it. I will investigate that.

I dislike the idea of maintaining such a repository...

True, if it is a moving repo, it might be a pain.

Or is this not true ?

Will investigate.

An alternative way would be that you adapt our standard package sources
to be able to build your missing packages also on RHEL. We could build
a RedHat:Extra project where such common missed packages can be build just
by linking our standard sources and rebuilding for RHEL.

That's what I've been doing or worst in other cases. I've noticed that
the CentOS and SL repositories which should somehow binary compatible
with RHEL have more packages than RHEL itself (this maybe because on
how redhat splits things up between server edition and client
edition). But duplicating packages all over the place isn't really
nice... (that's what I've been doing, getting the SRPM's from
EPEL/RedHat and rebuilding them with the changes required).

I will investigate a bit more EPEL.

SUSE Linux Products GmbH

Nelson Marques

/* http://www.marques.so