[opensuse-buildservice] Public availability of ci.opensuse.org
  • From: Sascha Peilicke <saschpe@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2011 17:12:23 -0800
The development process of the Open Build Service (OBS) code base as well as
it's accompanying tools is largely test-driven. Major parts of the OBS source
code are covered by a comprehensive test-suite. Traditionally, after each new
code submission, these tests have been run by a custom shell-script on a local
machine that wasn't publically available for several reasons. Even though this
setup served us well for a long time, but we needed more. We want to provide a
more transparent solution that allows the community to participate and maybe
take over some responsibilities. Thus, your hard-working OBS-team hereby
kindly introduces http://ci.opensuse.org, our new public interface for
continuous integration (CI) testing!

Currently, we run the testsuites of the OBS, osc and osc2 code-bases and
publish their results to a newly created mailinglist, obs-tests@xxxxxxxxxxxx.
Additionally, reports about the code coverage and quality (amounts of TODOS,
FIXMEs, etc.) are generated.

Behind the scenes, we are using Jenkins, probably the most prominet open
source CI tool available. Currently, the OBS and osc/osc2 code bases are
tested, but we would like to see more openSUSE projects utilize
ci.opensuse.org. In the future, we also want to test the RPMs (and appliances)
for new OBS releases.

And of course, we want to invite the community to have a close look at those
test results and provide us with valuable input (or even patches). In case you
want to work on the currently available test runners, they are part of the OBS
code base and found under $OBS_ROOT/dist/ci (http://github.com/openSUSE/open-
build-service/tree/master/dist/ci).
--
Mit freundlichen Grüßen,