[opensuse-buildservice] Solution for Tagging a version of a project and copying from an OBS with Anonymous login only
  • From: "Dominig ar Foll (Intel OTC)" <dominig.arfoll@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 18 Jun 2011 22:38:14 +0200
Hi,

I had to solve the problem of delivering software from an OBS instance
to an other OBS instance in a controlled fashion.
In particular I needed to provid a coherent set of the packages without
being affected by possible changes which could take place between the
snapshot validation and the actual time when the customer will actually
do the copy.

I also needed a solution which would manage time out an error with out
having to restart the copy all the project at every network error.

My proposed solution consists in creating a Tag for the project that I
want to deliver.
The Tag contains the list of all the packages as well as their revision
number at the time of creation.

The Tag file is created with a script called "obstag" and the tag file
can be delivered to the customer by mail.

With that Tag file the customer can at it's leisure (at least as long as
the project is not deleted from your source OBS) collect the packages
version that you wanted him to receive directly from your OBS (you need
to have the public API open or give a login to the customer).

To copy from a remote OBS with the obs2obscopy script, the customer will
have to create of a local project which is a link to the remote OBS
public API.

I have tested the solution with the https://api.meego.com/public public
API and it works.

Limit: The public API of an OBS does not let extract the log for a
packages and so obstag will create a tag file which only contains the
package name when activated on a remote project via a link using a
remote public API.

Bug Surely but not seen yet :-)

The code is available here.
http://wiki.meego.com/images/ObsTagCopy.tgz