Re: [opensuse-buildservice] new osc user interface proposal
Am Monday, 23. May 2011, 18:12:51 schrieb Marcus Hüwe:
Hi,

as a part of our Google Summer of Code Project to cleanup osc [1] our
first task was to define a new commandline user interface for osc.
The current user interface is quite "inconsistent" (with regard to
the expected arguments for different commands) and has some other
"flaws".

In short, great new proposal, I have not many remarks yet, but I will think
about it :)

Just one idea of mine, I would like to integrate requests more smoothly into
osc and also webui. For me this means work as usual as long as possible and if
it
does not work due to lack of permissions, the client should ask for creating a
request instead. For example

osc delete $PROJECT

deletes the project. If it can't be done, osc should ask the user to create
a request instead.

One may also offer a standard parameter to enforce the request creation (because
you may want that others check this). This could be done via

osc delete --request $PROJECT

This may be a replacement for the "osc request create" command to some degree
(multiple
actions per request would not work with that).

As a consequence we would need to add commands for all request types in the api
(which is not the case for "submit" for example. I see people with write
permissions
in the target creating requests just for convenience. However, not a good
idea, because
it sends out unwanted notifications).

That "submit" command is something I want to do after 2.3 ASAP in any case.

bye
adrian

SUSE Linux Products GmbH