Re: [opensuse-buildservice] Use solid state disks [ssd] to improve obs build times.
  • From: Greg Freemyer <greg.freemyer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2011 13:49:43 -0400
On Tue, Apr 19, 2011 at 1:28 PM, Stephen Shaw <sshaw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Sat, Apr 16, 2011 at 02:19,  <doiggl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hello
With the opensuse build service [obs] getting more usage every day
I wonder if this would make a diffence :-

1. Use  solid state disks [ssd] to  improve build times of package rpms
on, perhaps point the BuildRoot or _tmppath to the ssd's

Reason for asking.
Improve the packaging times during busy times on obs.

Cheers Glenn.

Unfortunately there is a cost associated, but it would be cool to get
a bunch of fusion IO cards and see how they perform.

Here is a youtube video of 1 fusion IO card handling 4500 movies
streaming at once.  If I understood it right.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9J5xGwdmsuo

Clearly buying SSD costs money.

But buying a $1000 250 GB SSD for one of the build servers would be
cheaper than buying a whole new server.

So the next time an expansion to the build farm is budgeted, I hope
getting SSDs for the buildroot is considered as an option.

If the thread from 6 months ago is still accurate, having a SSD might
double the compile speed of a build farm node.

Greg