Re: [opensuse-buildservice] Making kernel module for kernels in HEAD
On Sun, Mar 27, 2011 at 11:40:32PM +0100, Hans-Peter Jansen wrote:
I have an project, that could use serious support:

aufs2, http://sourceforge.net/projects/aufs

It provides a service, that many diskless and other projects rely on,
and the reason for rolling my own kernel trees..

There's a downside: Al don't like the project, he promotes union mount
and now overlayfs: the former looks like a (now orphaned) toy project
of Valerie Aurora, which never left conceptual state, while the latter
falls short with NFS, and likely many other more complex tasks in this
regard.

You are going to have to deal with the vfs maintainer, i.e. Al Viro,
here, there's not much I can do to help you out, sorry. I deal with
drivers, not filesystem stuff for the most part (I only write 'fake'
filesystems, not real ones.)

As union mount has a lot of development happening on it, and there is
also overlayfs from Miklos, it would seem that those are the way forward
for this type of functionality for Linux.

So I would suggest discussing this all on the linux-fs mailing list as
those are the developers you need to convince to be able to accept your
code, not me.

thanks,

greg k-h