Re: [opensuse-buildservice] New kernel module build failures - Really looks like an OBS issue
  • From: Adrian Schröter <adrian@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2011 09:43:09 +0100
Am Dienstag, 22. März 2011, 09:36:37 schrieb Roger Oberholtzer:
On Tue, 2011-03-22 at 09:11 +0100, Adrian Schröter wrote:

I see that this is not limited to one out-of-source-tree kernel module
compile. It is all of them. These work:

RedHat_RHEL-6

SLE_11_SP1

openSUSE_11.2_Update

openSUSE_11.3_Update

openSUSE_11.4

openSUSE_Factory

These do not:

openSUSE_11.2

openSUSE_11.3

If it was a problem in the source for the driver, I would think it very
very odd that is only fails for these two repos. It looks to me like
something has been updated in 11.4, and the various Update repos for
older releases, and a change has been made in OBS to match. The original
11.2 and 11.3 repos contain something older that no longer works with
OBS.

Anyone else know of any other out-of-kernel drivers in OBS that are
working for these two failed-for-me repos? You may need to trigger a
rebuild to see the failure.

It is still unlikely that any "OBS change" has caused this. All the used
macros and scripts are provided via packages. And OBS would behave in the
same way for all repos.

So, you need to debug the kernel build enviroment, sorry, I can't help you
here.

Isn't it OBS that sets that up? It is OBS that chooses a kernel source
from somewhere and puts it in the build. I do not provide that in the
build. The Makefile that is being complained about does not come from
anything I provide.

It must be triggered by these statements in my spec:

BuildRequires: %kernel_module_package_buildreqs

We don't support macros as build requires, it would mean that the
scheduler would need to setup a build enviroment to calculate the packages for
the build enviroment ;)

That can't really work, you can try to workaround this by defining/replacing
this definition in prjconf to a fixed set of packages. Optionally also different
for each of your repositories.

%kernel_module_package

A sample spec is:

https://build.opensuse.org/package/view_file?file=universe.spec&package=universe&project=home%3Arogeroberholtzer&srcmd5=c1e7d331a7f0803ada9e50
afd57c9743

This spec works on all but two repos in OBS. It worked for those repos
up to about a month ago. Then is started failing. And only for these
repos.

If that ever worked, it was just luck.

Yours sincerely,

Roger Oberholtzer