Re: [opensuse-buildservice] one click install for fedora, mandrivia
  • From: Kai-Uwe Behrmann <ku.b@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2010 22:18:16 +0100 (MET)
Am 25.11.10, 16:02 -0500 schrieb Robert Xu:

On Thu, Nov 25, 2010 at 15:25, Kai-Uwe Behrmann <ku.b@xxxxxx> wrote:
Am 25.11.10, 16:26 -0000 schrieb Andrew Wafaa:

On Thu, 2010-11-25 at 10:10 -0600, Paul Elliott wrote:

I have not used this feature in so long I have forgotten
how do you set up mandrivia, fedora so that one click
install works? Where is this documented?

When I tried it, it gave me a dialog that let me download
a ymp file. What do I do with this file?

I'm not so sure that they support the 1Click mechanism, I think you'll
find it is an openSUSE/SLE feature only.

As for the downloaded ymp you can open it in any editor that can cope
with xml and then extrapolate the repository and package requirements
from there.  Those distros don't understand the information being
passed.

The yum mechanism might be not supported.
However Fedora thierd party repositories[1] use RPMs[2] containing thre
repository and the according verification signatures.

Supporting these kind of RPMs general for all projects on OBS level would
expectedly make OBS even more popular.

Fedora and Mandriva do not support One-Click Install; That feature is
provided by YaST.

Yes, thats correct about One-Click Install. But I think adding OBS repoitories to Fedoras package management system is still related.

Remember currently is only the one per one RPM install possible. No dependencies are tracked. With the outlined repository RPM the selected OBS repo can be added to the Fedora package manager. Dependencies are tracked and thats much more convenient and appears in line with Fedoras package management system.

You may want to create a package, ex. "yourpackage-meta", that
Requires all the packages needed.

Not shure if this is really useful. E.g. the Oyranos stack has many dependencies and optional features. Do a Gnome user need the KDE front end or stay with an light wight substitute. Shall the complete Oyranos stack be installed and include the compiz plugin and then compiz itself? IMHO "yourpackage-meta" would not be a general solution. For some project it might work.

kind regards
Kai-Uwe Behrmann
--
developing for colour management www.behrmann.name + www.oyranos.org