Re: [opensuse-buildservice] The disconnect
  • From: Ludwig Nussel <ludwig.nussel@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 4 Nov 2010 10:35:02 +0100
Robert Schweikert wrote:
Well, IMHO, the default assumption that the one who submits something to
some
devel project also wants to comply with the version restrictions in Contrib
or
Factory is wrong. E.g. I have several packages I needs as deps which I
update
when I see it fit and file SRs against their devel projects but I
absolutely
do not want to maintain them in any way as in being responsible for them in
some way while having to do more than upstream does (e.g. backporting
security
fixes).

Well, then maybe the policy needs to be looked at, as Lars pointed out.
Following a "simple maintenance model" of bumping the version to get
upstream bug fixes would be a lot less work and might be a sufficient
relaxation to get more people to contribute packages.

What makes you think that's not the case already? :-)
The quite short http://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Maintenance_policy has many
'should' but only one 'must'. Also, the policy is still marked as draft and
likely incomplete. I don't think there ever was a real discussion about the
policy.

cu
Ludwig

--