Re: [opensuse-buildservice] The disconnect
  • From: Klaus Kaempf <kkaempf@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 3 Nov 2010 13:25:52 +0100
* Robert Schweikert <rschweikert@xxxxxxxxxx> [Nov 03. 2010 01:18]:

This is where I disagree. I am saying that the process of getting a
package into Contrib or Factory is not as straight forward as it should
be. There are too many steps.

Fully agreed.

There are actually two issues here to be solved

1. Giving users knowledge about and access to packages.

This one got lots of attention during the openSUSE conference and a
solution is currently being discussed on opensuse-softwaremgmt@xxxxxxxxxxxx

The current proposal revolves around 'karma/trust' to find good
packages and good maintainers. Let the community vote about the quality
of packages, the ability of the maintainer to fix bugs, ease of
installation, completeness of the documentation, you name it.

2. Making a package belong to the 'choosen ones'

This is indeed tightly coupled to point 1 above because good karma is
essential here.

However, I wonder if the current model of 'pushing to Factory' can be
extended. One extension could be voting (i.e. "Hey Coolo, Robert has
this cool package in his home project, add it to Factory !").

Another would be adding 'pull requests' to the workflow.
Instead of the package maintainer, the 'distribution maintainer'
should choose which packages (resp. projects) he wants to have in his
distribution.
The package maintainer gets notified of pull requests and, if he
accepts, all changes to his package get pulled into the distribution.

Klaus
---