Re: [opensuse-buildservice] Workflow suggestions for working with nightly builds and full releases
  • From: Dave Plater <davejplater@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2010 18:14:53 +0200
On 10/21/2010 04:26 PM, Matt Williams wrote:
Hi all,

I'm hoping to get some suggestions from you guys about how to best
handle a bunch of packages I'm maintaining. Basically I have a number
of packages (the Falcon programming language, some extra modules and
some tools). What I would like to do is have a OBS project
(falcon:Unstable -- all under my home:Milliams personal project) where
I build nightly versions of the packages, then I would also like to
have a second project (home:Milliams:falcon) where I build only the
officially released packages.

Is there any way in which I can ease this cycle since on the whole,
the spec files in the two projects will be almost identical. Can I
perhaps maintain one as the main project and have the other one link
against it with patches applied to change the version and the tarball?
I will probably use the new 'source service' technique for the
Unstable repo to fetch snapshots from Git and maybe for the release
repo to to get the tarballs directly from the release website.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide,
Matt Williams

Use the unstable project for developing the package to the point of
stability and then submit the unstable (which is linked to stable) to
stable and then carry on working on unstable. The only project you
actually work on is unstable when the released version comes along into
unstable you submit that package into stable. You don't need to do
anything in stable unless you want a changes file that syncs with
releases and doesn't contain all the changes that took place in unstable.

Regards
Dave P