Re: [opensuse-buildservice] obs branching question
  • From: Adrian Schröter <adrian@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2010 08:53:01 +0200
On 2010-08-25 14:06:48 -0700, Christian Daudt wrote:
I just recently started using branches in obs, and to my surprise
when the parent branch (the source proj:pkg used in osc branch
command) gets an update, that is immediately pushes to the branches.
This branching is not like the others :-( - i.e. unlike any version
control in which the origin->child merge is done on demand, not
auto-initiated. The problem that I see with this is that developing on
the branch becomes a bit like building on quicksand, since you never
know when the ground is going to shift on you. I have a little build
script which uses the same patchname ("current.patch") while I'm
developing a mod but not yet ready to commit to a name for the patch,
and this is causing the children branches to get broken whenever I
update the origin (since at that time the update "current.patch" gets
pushed to the children and causes all of the children to break due to
a merge conflict in this "current.patch" file).
Is there a way to change this behaviour so that a branch reflects the
state of the origin when the branch was created, and doesn't
auto-update? I do plan to change my script so that it uses a more
random name for the patch, but I would still prefer to use the
non-auto-push behaviour in case it's available.

most people see this as a feature because you can always base your work
on the latest version of "upstream".

I agree that this is useful also, that's why I was hoping it was
configurable :-)

anyway

osc help linkpac -> -c
this seems to be what I was looking for. I had not used linkpac
before, it seems to do serve the same purpose as "osc branch", only
with different options. Is that the case, or are their
behaviours/uses different?

Hm, no, it is not a full copy. So you may have more often merge problems.

What I would recommend is to do

osc branch ..

and a

osc setlinkrev

inside. So it is still a branch, but with fixed version.

We should maybe also extend "osc branch" to understand -c directly.

bye
adrian

SUSE Linux Products GmbH