Re: [opensuse-buildservice] Can we please get ARM builds for 11.3+1?
  • From: Stephan Kleine <bitdealer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 1 Jul 2010 01:49:03 +0200
On Thursday July 1 2010 01:39:36 Martin Mohring wrote:

Thank you very much for your input Martin.

Jan Engelhardt wrote:
On Wednesday 2010-06-30 18:48, Stephan Kleine wrote:
So, from the top of my head:

1. am I correct that OBS is already able to build for ARM but it is
slow due to cross compilation being needed?

2. What is possible to speed that up - e.g. how do the Meego folks do
this?

Using real hardware.

Not needed with the OBS solution. The complete MeeGo or openSUSE ARM
port never saw any real HW before its first boot. That was after the
first build.

The issue that was raised is that ARM would need cross compilation which takes
too much time (read as in would bind the limited OBS resources for too long)
when building Factory for ARM. How do you (the MeeGo people) handle this? E.g.
do you merely cross compile too or did you figure out some fancy tricks to
speed up compilation for ARM on x86?

3. Weren't it an option to exclude "big" packages (e.g. OpenOffice
stack) and just build those once in a while - e.g. for milestones?

4. What other problems do you see with creating openSUSE builds for ARM
that I forgot to mention here?

Some packages do only compile cross because they need more RAM than 2 GB
for building.
Some packages do not compile with cross compilation.
Some cannot be compiled for ARM.

Existence of real hardware.

Find a manufacturer who sells Linux-ready ARM systems that don't
need fiddling.