Re: [opensuse-buildservice] Ubuntu universe
  • From: Pau Garcia i Quiles <pgquiles@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2010 18:22:43 +0200
The only reason Ubuntu splits Debian's 'main' in 'main' and 'universe'
is Canonical supports packages in Ubuntu 'main' but does not support
packages in Ubuntu 'universe'. That's all. From a legal point of view,
both 'main' and 'universe' are 100% clean.

The problem is that Debian's view on legally clean is not exactly Novell's -
and it seems Ubunut's view is closer to Novell's than to Debian's.

Ubutu's view of legality is the same as Debian's.

When Debian finds something in a package which might be legally
troublesome and it is not essential for the software to work (for
instance, documentation, images, sounds, etc), Debian repackages the
original tarball and adds a 'dfsg' (Debian Free Software Guidelines)
suffix to it. If you browse though the Ubuntu sources, you will notice
Ubuntu uses the 'dfsg' tarballs, not the original ones.

If find if odd that some packages are allowed in OBS if they are in
Debian but the very same package is not allowed if it is in Ubuntu.

--
Pau Garcia i Quiles
http://www.elpauer.org