Re: [opensuse-buildservice] Project classifications
  • From: Adrian Schröter <adrian@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2010 13:06:41 +0200
Am Freitag, 23. April 2010 11:53:38 schrieb Lubos Lunak:
On Friday 23 of April 2010, Adrian Schröter wrote:
This is currently suggested in this fate request :

https://features.opensuse.org/306232

as

STABLE -- project is considered to be ready to use for End-Users
TESTING -- project should work from point of developer view, but needs
verification
DEVELOPMENT -- project is random state, it might work.
BROKEN -- project is known to be not working atm.

I find it rather hard to see the difference between two adjacent states. I'm
not even sure what states I would use e.g. for the KDE: repos
(http://en.opensuse.org/KDE/Repositories).

Is KDE:KDE4:STABLE:Desktop STABLE or TESTING here, when from developers'
point of view it's stable and fixes keep getting added, but we don't really
test it that much as such and expect users to find possible problems?

From my POV it is STABLE. It does not make sense to call the project STABLE and
then it isn't ?

Sure, a bug can be everywhere, also in a final release like openSUSE:11.2, but
it is by definition STABLE and it should be handled like it is.

Is KDE:KDE4:Factory:Desktop TESTING or DEVELOPMENT? We develop for next
openSUSE there, but it's usually stable enough to be normally used. Or should
we switch the state all the time depending on the situation, which nobody
will bother to keep doing anyway?

Switching all the time makes no sense of course, because people would not
add/remove
the repos all the time.

Since it you say it is usually stable, I would consider it as "TESTING". If you
do
experimental stuff, you do switch off publishing or do it somewhere else
instead.

And I fail to see the point of BROKEN. Why would anybody intentionally have
broken repo?

Well, it is maybe not intentionally, but currently anyway broken. So it is known
not to work and we may disable the bugreport link in this case.

bye
adrian

SUSE Linux Products GmbH