Re: [opensuse-buildservice] Publisher takes AGES
  • From: "Hans-Peter Jansen" <hpj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 15 Feb 2010 09:54:16 +0100
On Monday 15 February 2010, 08:37:29 Adrian Schröter wrote:
Am Samstag, 13. Februar 2010 12:01:11 schrieb Hans-Peter Jansen:
Hi,

it appears to me, that the publisher is taking ages to get its job
done. It is not the first time, I suffer from this, therefore..

See here:
https://build.opensuse.org/project/show?project=home%3Afrispete%3Aaufs2

kernel-default build for i586 was done at:

build18 finished "build kernel-default.spec" at Sat Feb 13 00:55:44 UTC
2010.

Now, approx. 11 hours later, the project status is still in finished
state.

Is that to be expected?

yes and no. The publisher was hanging for 24 hours, that god fixed
yesterday morning.

Thanks god.

However, it had a backlog of almost 1800 repositories to process. That
takes a while, at absolute minimum 12 hours I would say.

Hmm, does it process them serialized? If yes, the publisher should be able
to throw a configurable amount of threads on it, doesn't it?

Is there something, that could be done from my side?

Fix/improve createrepo. I have not looked inside, but my feelings tell me
that there should be significant speedups possible.

It's quite a while since I hacked on createrepo.. There's the repocache
thing available, that it able to improve things quite considerable, by the
price of stupidly creating its checksum files for each rpm in a repocache
directory (and never remove them again..).

The first question is, is it possible to hide that stuff before fan out? I
guess, it would be possible (and desirable) to reduce this directory based
repocache scheme to one file (say .repocache), but again, this should
be "interned" somehow. Does BS provide infrastructure for such file
handling?

Pete