Re: [opensuse-buildservice] OBS DoS caused by a broken package
  • From: Adrian Schröter <adrian@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 1 Feb 2010 08:35:53 +0100
Am Sonntag, 31. Januar 2010 23:53:59 schrieb Lubos Lunak:

Hello,

right now the OBS is mostly idle, trying to repeatedly build
home:prusnak:scout/scout. The full log I managed to capture is at
http://pastebin.ca/1773632, the interesting parts seem to be:
=====
preinstalling bash...
preinstalling libreadline6...
/bin/bash: error while loading shared libraries: libreadline.so.5: cannot
open
=====

I'm not sure why exactly this got broken, but home:prusnak:scout includes
also a bash package, so I assume the preinstall somehow used packages also
from there, and it got somehow messed up.

The real problem however is that the OBS was repeatedly trying to dispatch
this build, it failed almost immediately and the OBS retried again, and
again, and again. It managed to dispatch about 1 other build per minute.

Yes, that is a new behaviour.

OBS is handling this as "Bad build host", because even the bash inside of the VM
is not able to start and to write any status. (it was a change from me 1-2
weeks ago).

I think this is a consequence of the recent fix that retries builds that
failed because of the build host itself instead of the package. Would it be
possible to adjust it so that such failed builds are put at the end of the
queue instead of being handled again right away?

No, that makes not really sense, because it either is a bad host, than it should
not affect the priority. Or it is one and the server should give up.

But I will add some support that the dispatcher is giving up after 3 tries with
"bad host".

bye
adrian

SUSE Linux Products GmbH