Re: [opensuse-buildservice] Making kernel modules for specific kernel versions
  • From: Jan Engelhardt <jengelh@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 7 Jan 2010 11:04:58 +0100 (CET)

On Thursday 2010-01-07 11:01, Roger Oberholtzer wrote:
Yes, you just build a KMP...

... KMPs can be used for multiple kernels (the built against one
and laters), if the kabi for those stays stable.
While we do not guarantee that for openSUSE, we try to keep it that way.

A KMP built against the 11.2 GA kernel will for instance still work with
the current update kernel.

If I make a kernel driver package, can I trigger it getting rebuilt
automatically when a kernel update is released? Without me having to
trigger anything by hand?

Often, KMPs still work across a minor kernel update, by means
of the weak-modules mechanism.

Section 4.6 in the link I referenced implies that
this is possible. Would it happen automatically if I build against
openSUSE:11.2:Update and a kernel update is released?

It should.