Re: [opensuse-buildservice] _workerstatus returning wrong info and other questions
  • From: Jon Nelson <jnelson-suse@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 4 Jan 2010 09:59:52 -0600
Another question I have has to do with rpm selection.
Let's say we have a package, foo, which lots of other packages depend
on (BuildRequires: foo).  Let's also say that foo has been replaced by
bar, and bar's specfile has this:  "Provides: foo" and "Obsoletes:
foo", and that foo and bar and the other packages are all in the same
project.  Why isn't bar being installed in favor of foo?

If you have two packages with same provides name you get an expansion error.
Unlike rpm/zypper/yum/apt/... the OBS needs a unique definition to guarantee
that
a rebuild is reproducable.

The specfile for foo does not have a "Provides: foo". Do rpms have an
implicit "Provides: $packagename" ?

So you need either the prefer one of them or remove the other one.

I'm not sure what that means.

Apart from that, bar should be used if it provides foo.

I am using 1.6. Also, the above statement appears to conflict with
what Luke said (which is "first found" wins).

I was also wrong about one thing: the "foo" package actually comes
from one of the the project configuration's <repository/> <path/>
elements. Does that matter? I would have expected the following
behavior:

1. parse specfile.
2. one of the build deps is "foo"
3. the current project has "bar" which obsoletes and provides "foo".
use that to meet the build dep.

--
Jon