[opensuse-buildservice] OBS version 1.7 Beta 1 release
  • From: Adrian Schröter <adrian@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 23 Dec 2009 15:04:33 +0100

Just in time as christmas present we release

openSUSE Build Service 1.7 Beta 1

For us developers this mean we shall not create large changes anymore until
version 1.7 got released. Instead we shall complete the new APIs and fix them
because they need to stay stable after 1.7

The current exceptions for new feature or api changes have been noted so far:

* Defining attributes will not be done in project meta data in final release,
but via own attribute controller.

* 1.7 may offer additional informations about the scheduling state of
a repository.

Please check first with us, if you plan to add another feature or make larger
changes.

The main features as documented in our road map are:

* Fast scheduler using SAT solver now.
* Clean Product builds
* Attribute system
- Allows to define global keys which can be set for projects, source
packages and each binary package.
- fast lookup and browse interface
(Complete except for the attribute definition api)
* New request types
- delete request
- change devel information request
- automatic cleanup options on submit request
- review mechanism for requests
* Lookup for build dependencies
- "osc dependson" and "osc whatdependson" are telling the dependency states
between the packages according to calculations of the scheduler
* SLP lookup support in backend runlevel scripts for automatic setup.

New features, which are still declared as experimental and incomplete:
* Source services. The core functionality is ready but we lack a number
of services and practical experiences still.
* patchinfo support is only good enough to submit informations. The server
is not creating updates via it yet.

Our roadmap is maintained here:
http://en.opensuse.org/Build_Service/Roadmap

My hope is that we get the 1.7 final release out in January or February next
year.

Packages can get found in the openSUSE:Tools:Unstable project:

http://software.opensuse.org/search?baseproject=openSUSE:Tools:Unstable&q=obs

Due to the lack of a final place for tar balls (due to our move away from
forge) we do not release a tar ball this time. Please use either the one from
our packages or get the source via git:

http://en.opensuse.org/Build_Service/Run_from_git

The final release will also get released as Add-On product and appliance (Live
image). This means OBS products built by OBS ;)

SUSE Linux Products GmbH