Re: [opensuse-buildservice] Pitfall with building on oS 11.2 (SUSE_ASNEEDED in environment)
  • From: Peter Pöml <poeml@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Dec 2009 18:30:36 +0100

Am 16.12.2009 um 18:19 schrieb Marcus Rueckert:

IMHO, this could have been made more obvious.
The above shown linker error isn't really elucidating. In fact, it
doesn't seem to make any sense at all.
I doubt that all build service users read the opensuse-specific
packaging list. And new users won't know that it might have been
discussed there. Some kind of keyword as a start for a Google
recherche is lacking.

this change was even announced and a wiki article to explain it was
posted long ago:
http://en.opensuse.org/Packaging/Fixing

Think 5 meters farther :-) or read again: that's my point -- it doesn't help new users if something was announced at a time where there weren't subscribed.

The error message doesn't give a hint. So where do you expect users to start searching?

And as you see, it doesn't even help me, even though I was subscribed at the time.
Because, how do you expect me to think of that particular thing?

There are numerous examples where a very useful pointer is given (or appended to the build log) that helps to understand and fix issues. Good examples galore.

Clearer now?

Peter

< Previous Next >