Re: [opensuse-buildservice] Categories in .desktop files OpenSuse 11.1/2
  • From: Adrian Schröter <adrian@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 16 Nov 2009 07:25:58 +0100
Am Samstag, 14. November 2009 21:59:09 schrieb Carsten Gerlach:
Hello,

I'm building packages for a program which uses the line

"Categories=GNOME;Application;AudioVideo;"

in the .desktop file and get the error message

"ERROR: No sufficient Category definition:
/usr/src/packages/BUILDROOT/nted-1.9.6-13.1.x86_64//usr/share/applications/
nted.desktop"

when I build for OpenSuse 11.1 or 11.2. In the build for 11.0 is all ok.

Well, in the build-log I get the warning, that "Application" is deprecated,
so I update the .desktop file with

"# %suse_update_desktop_file -r %{name} GNOME AudioVideo"

to remove the entry "Application". But the error is not gone. So I found
out that the values "GNOME" and "AudioVideo" are not accepted by OBS but
as written in http://standards.freedesktop.org/menu-spec/latest/apa.html
"AudioVideo" and "GNOME" are valid values. So it would be great, when you
can update the building rules that this values are accepted in the future.

This test is not about to check if the categories are valid. This test is
about if you get assigned to a unique menu (and not be in plenty of them).

GNOME category is almost useless here, because the menu is the same in all
desktops. Check /etc/xdg/menus/applications.menu to get an idea what other
categories might needed to get a valid submenu.

Greetings and thanks, Carsten

PS: my username is "daswaldhorn" and the project is "nted", if it is
importand for you.

PPS: In the build-log was written, that one should contact stbinner@xxxxxxx
in the case of this error. I tried it, but the email adress is not valid.

SUSE Linux Products GmbH