[opensuse-buildservice] best practices advice
  • From: Jon Nelson <jnelson-suse@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Jul 2009 08:47:58 -0500
I was hoping to get some advice about how to arrange things in a local
build service.

Let's say we have a series of developers. Sometimes they work on stuff
that's really only interesting to them, othertimes (more often) they
are working on projects which will eventually make it into production.

Let's also say that you want to allow a two- or three- tiered
environment, where individual developers will have their own projects,
where there will be a shared development environment (like staging),
and then production.

What I'd like to know is how people set things up so that developers
can say something like "OK, production manager, package FOO version
BAR is ready to go" and have that person (the production manager)
place package FOO (version BAR) into the production environment. Ditto
for all appropriate dependencies, etc...

Basically, how do you set things up so that there can be several
internally consistent environments (projects), such that a person that
manages the production environment get acquire packages without lots
of hoop jumping.

At first blush, it seems that linking or aggregating would work, but
it seems as though if the source package changes then it gets rebuilt
everywhere it is linked. That is not desirable in this case.
Obviously, one could just do something like a "copy" but is there a
better way? Can links work with a specific (build service) version?

How are others cracking this particular nut?

--
Jon