Re: [opensuse-buildservice] Why is an empty linked package an error?
  • From: Adrian Schröter <adrian@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2009 08:33:53 +0200
Am Montag, 29. Juni 2009 21:26:12 schrieb Luke Imhoff:
Why does OBS consider an empty linked package an error? If I can check
out an empty package to upload source, why I can't I checkout a link to
that package and expand it to an empty directory? This comes up for our
internal use cases where a developer wants to check that a new package
builds in all the distros that are going to link in the package before
checking it in. Right now they have to upload some file to the linked
to package first so the linking package can be checked out to do an osc
build locally. This is more a design philosophy question as I can
easily change osc to ignore the error (or change the server to not treat
it as a error).

Actually it just sounds like a bug. If you have an osc patch to solve this, I
am happy to apply that one.

thanks
adrian

It just seems that if you think of the link as a
symlink (with versioning) to a directory then you should be able to
checkout an empty directory just the same as a directory with contents.

yes

Am I missing something in the design that makes this analogy not accurate?

SUSE Linux Products GmbH