Re: [opensuse-buildservice] new "osc request" handling
  • From: Boyd Lynn Gerber <gerberb@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 4 Jun 2009 14:40:02 -0600
On 2009-06-02 16:24:45 +0200, Adrian Schröter wrote:
Juergen, Michael, Klaas and me sit together to discuss how should we
design the osc request interface. The problem is that osc only knows
"submitreq" command so far. But now we have two more requests, delete
and devel_change requests. And more will come.

This new design will not be compatible with the current "osc
submitreq" and we will most likely not be able to support the old
commands in the same syntax anymore. But we think it is better to do
this change anyway to have it more consistent.

Our idea are the following commands for osc. Please tell us your
opinion about it. (We will implement this tomorrow if no new problems
pop up).

you are breaking the UI for no real reason. which is bad.

as written the reason is that "sr" would not able to handle delete or
change devel requests.

it is not supposed to.
osc sr create will only create submitrequests nothing more. all other
options like accept/decline/revoke/show/wipe can just map through to
their osc request equivalent.

you will need to double the code for this, because there are conflicts like
"delete". And all other consolidations like the pac/pkg to a common one,
delete* and others we did would not be valid by that argument. But we
(multiple contributors) fixed inconsistencies this time to clean up the
interface.

If we don't do this we will end up in a hughe list of commands where many of
them do similar things, but no one understands the differences anymore. And we
can't select logic names anymore since they reserved.
Are there really that many people who use osc via scripts ?
Having a usable interface is IMHO more important in the long run.

+1, I think if we are going to make changes now is the time to do it for both osc and the UI. We need to get it right now. I like what has been proposed.

I would be happy if someone has a suggestion how to design this.

Most of the stuff I have used has a Command Termination Character(CTC). For example in bash one can use the ";" exp $ cmd;cmd;cmd. So I would envision

$ osc cmd<ctc>cmd<ctc>cmd

What character to use I do not know. I just had surgery and I am not thinking really clearly, but this is something I feel is real important and some should be done now. It should not be postponed.

e.g with the old osc
you can do "osc sr help" and get all commands related to submitrequests.

you should get the same with "osc rq help" moving the creation commands
out of the scope makes this unnecessarily complex.

the help is more or less free text, we can add a reference there without
problems.
However, could some more people please add their opinions on this ?
Otherwise we can discuss this forever, I think ;)

When you want to play around how it works in real life, please use the osc
from openSUSE:Tools:Unstable project.

I agree. We really do need to do something. I think there is no better time than the present.

--
Boyd Gerber <gerberb@xxxxxxxxx> 801 849-0213