Re: [opensuse-buildservice] Nix package manager
  • From: Michal Marek <mmarek@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 09 Mar 2009 11:07:03 +0100
Archie Cobbs napsal(a):
On Fri, Mar 6, 2009 at 12:55 PM, Wolfgang Rosenauer
<wolfgang@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
A little bit offtopic to the main but for your example. There is a
reason there is no Firefox 3 for SLES9. It's simply not possible to
build it since Gtk+ on SLES9 is so old that Firefox 3 refuses to build
(and run).
Nix (whatever this is) wouldn't help you in that case I guess.

Yes it would. You'd simply build and install the newer Gtk+, and then
Firefox. Nix allows multiple versions of Gtk+ (or anything else) to
exist at the same time, so installing the new Gtk+ doesn't mean
uninstalling the old one.

RPM does also allow it (that the upper level tools usually don't is
another story). And installing into versioned directories, which is
AFAIU what Nix does, is more a matter of packaging policy than of the
tools ("oh, I don't like having all libraries in /usr/lib, let's invent
another package manager" -- ???).

Michal