[opensuse-buildservice] Czech Packagers Team - openSUSE BuildService notes
  • From: Pavol Rusnak <prusnak@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 08 Dec 2008 10:16:12 +0100
Hello Community and BuildService folks!

In our Czech Packagers Team we tried to identify the most important
problems in BuildService from the users' point of view. In this mail we present our notes. Any suggestions are welcome!

openSUSE BuildService
=====================

We have too many projects, which create a big mess. It is not easily
usable for end users. When users adds more repositories, problems with
libraries and conflicts could arise. See also e-mail about project
dependencies:
http://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-project/2008-12/msg00006.html

Possible solutions are:

* use Contrib repository wherever possible (see my other mail)

* define purpose for each project, like:
* add-on package
* fresh packages + libraries (eg. games)
* bleeding edge packages (eg. zypp:svn)
* backports for older distributions (eg. zypp:Backport)
* playground (eg. all home projects)
- this sets users expectations
- purpose could be indicated by naming conventions, or even better
by project flags
- purpose must be shown in the search result for this method to work

* encourage users to push packages from their home projects
to official projects or Contrib
- a button/wizard in web interface ?
- BuildService cleanup day ?

* warn on creating of the package that already exists in BuildService
- send warning to both maintainers

* send notification emails on link, branch and aggregate and/or show how
many packages are linked to current package
- that should reduce number of deletions which break other people's
packages

* virtual packages and virtual joint projects
(see separate e-mail by Stanislav Brabec)

--
Best Regards / S pozdravom,

Pavol RUSNAK SUSE LINUX, s.r.o
Package Maintainer Lihovarska 1060/12