[opensuse-buildservice] OBS: cross-build/download on demand Status + Package update in openSUSE:Tools:Devel
  • From: Martin Mohring <martin.mohring@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2008 14:10:34 +0200
Hi,

Marcus Hüwe and me have been working on putting together a combined
version of:
- OBS cross-build
- OBS Download on Demand

There is a Wiki Concept Page now:
http://en.opensuse.org/Build_Service/Concepts/CrossDevelopment. The
packages to download for qemu/OBS are inside the project
openSUSE:Tools:Devel/obs-all-cross and qemu-svn+gcc3.

Download on Demand is an own feature, which allows you very similiar to
the remote OBS feature to use the Packages from an ftp/http server
without completely downloading it. Whats even more interesting with that
is that it generates the meta data from the original Deb/Rpmmd data. How
to use it is described in the above Wiki page.

Also, the qemu is now sufficiently fixed (more testing for other archs
underway) so that it can run at least for ARM architectures the build
environment to up to date distros like Debian:Lenny or even Debian:Sid
(which use current gcc/glibc - Lenny will be released this year). If you
need the meta prjconf those distros (which are different from
Debian:Etch), drop me an e-mail. One of the next steps would be to
bootstrap an openSUSE Release for ARM.

Be aware that there is a known bug inside download on demand which can
result in continued package rebuilds. Restarting the scheduler after
such an "loop" fixes the problem. We are already working on that.

Regards, Martin