Re: [opensuse-buildservice] Integrating packages into Factory
  • From: "Archie Cobbs" <archie@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2008 14:15:28 -0500
On Tue, Jul 29, 2008 at 1:54 PM, Adrian Schröter <adrian@xxxxxxx> wrote:
Here is my point of view as a user: I know for example there are a
zillion ways to configure asterisk. But I usually just want the
"standard" version of it. I don't want to be forced to choose among a
bunch of them.

Not allowing clone builds would mean

* Not allowing KDE 4.0 and KDE 4.1 Beta/RC builds for example
* Not allowing offering packages with bugfixes, which needs testing before
submission.
* Not allowing test builds with changes of below packages (libs, compiler,
..)

Enforcing a rename would not be praticable, time consuming and you would be
able to test in the same setup. In short it would reduce the value of OBS a
lot.

I see...

However, there will be a feature in 11.1 in OBS what you will hopefully like,
the support of nu file. With these files you can add and remove multiple repos
at once to YaST/zypper. The client will handle it as one repo.
And everybody can create the list of repos he like in these files without
the need to double builds and server space because of it :)

That sounds like a great idea.

If you can "bundle" several repositories together using "nu" files
then it sounds like you would get the same effect... i.e., a simpler
way to get at stuff.

Thanks,
-Archie

--