Re: [opensuse-buildservice] project dependencies
  • From: Susanne Oberhauser <froh@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: 19 Jun 2008 10:17:24 +0200
Hi Peter,

Peter Poeml <poeml@xxxxxxx> writes:

Nitpick: no new python is required. (Just some modules.)

Yes.

For that reason we linked some packages into the current
openSUSE:Tools:Unstable project and made them build on the old
distros, too.

[This is evil]

Fully agreed, that's why I brought this up.

So simple:
1) wait if it actually happens at all
2) talk to the maintainers so they are aware
3) move on. ;-)

We still could link a package with patches into openSUSE:Tools
_then_.

We've already had 1), and 2) is only a solution after the fact and
doesn't prevent others from breaking 'my product'.

linking in the package is not the solution I'm proposing, though, it's
an ugly work-around that I'd like to avoid.

You and I are members of the obs team, we are used for things to break
and we're used to get a quick fix, plus we don't _rely_ on obs yet for
some other bread-and-butter business (like releasing a product that
uses obs).

Fortunately we start seeing people using obs for such jobs, where obs
is a tool that's supposed to work, not the tool that is being worked
on.

I'd love to see more of this, a real network of obs instances, and my
concern is that by iterating 1) and 2) above, the early birds shy
away.

I don't like this proposal. I really don't think that anybody needs
different releases of the build service at all.

At this time, this is right. But there is aneed for different Rails
releases. So far non of the base python packages were API
incompatible after upgrades, so _so far_ we're fine on that end.

Now there's two options:

1) I, as maintainer of some Foo-foo project , need to know exactl the
different API policies of the base projects I rely on

2) there's an established policy of giving new APIs a new name, and I
just rely on that.

Option 2) implicitely is implemented by the openSUSE releases. after
release, they don't change dramatically any more.

I don't think we are going to (nor need to) maintain old releases in
"maintenance-mode", we will rather move on.

I'm currently talking about the base packages, and for a foreseeable
future I'm also talking about force-updating users with possibly
incompatible versions by releasing new packages into the old release
repo.

Maybe this is just me but I'd hate to run zypper up and after that the
system I just _use_ to build some packages doesn't work any more :/

S.

--
Susanne Oberhauser +49-911-74053-574 SUSE -- a Novell Business
OPS Engineering Maxfeldstraße 5