Re: [opensuse-buildservice] Moving voiceglue to network:telephony
  • From: "Archie Cobbs" <archie@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 9 May 2008 14:34:41 -0500
On Fri, May 9, 2008 at 1:50 PM, Dirk Stoecker <opensuse@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
1. Package A requires package B from another repo
2. Package A successfully builds with package B, and everything is great
3. Package B is changed, and for whatever reason the build of
package B is blocked for a long time
4. Package A is changed

My question is: shouldn't package A's build proceed anyway, with the
same version of B that was used in step #2? This is what I would
expect as step #5:

5. Package A is built with the same version of package B used in step #2

Then many hours later after everyone has gone to sleep:

6. Package B's new build finally successfully completes
7. Package A's build is automatically triggered and it is built
again with the version of package B from step #6

You are right, that it is disturbing to wait for these long blocking
packages, but:

b) When you use osc build to do a local build test, then in most cases
letting it take a day to build a package is no problem, as you checkin
a working package instead of building the package on server.

Are you saying that I can build the RPM locally, and then upload it
into the OBS repository? If so, that's cool, I was not aware of that
option (how do you do it?)

Nevertheless I'm pretty convinced there are still situations, where blocked
state is wrong, especially with aggregates.

Do you consider the situation I described as one of those?

FYI, I'm asking not to be annoying but because I'm trying to
understand the OBS and how it works (as someone who understands RPMs
but is new to OBS, for some reason I've had a hard time understanding
how things work and what all the various parts are and how they
interact. I really wish there was a "reference manual" or something).

E.g.: this "blocked" state seems inappropriate to me, but that's
probably because I don't understand something.... if so, who can
explain the logic of why it is necessary in this case (instead of just
saying "don't worry about it" or suggesting a workaround).

Thanks,
-Archie

--
Archie L. Cobbs