Re: [opensuse-buildservice] Adding Build-service function to Eclipse! Any suggestions?
  • From: Michal Marek <mmarek@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2008 18:20:13 +0200
Benji Weber napsal(a):
On 28/04/2008, Rodrigo Moya <rodrigo@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
yes, I think we should consider sharing the client implementation as
much as possible, so I see 2 solutions:

* write a C library and create bindings from it
* write a D-Bus daemon that can be contacted via any D-Bus bindings

for the GNOME client we were planning to use the OSC API, since we'll be
using pygtk, but since the Java and Mono clients are not able to use it
and so need to write their own client lib, I think we could use some of
the SoC student's time to work on this shared layer, couldn't we?

This seems a little unnecessary. Consuming webservice API from
java/.net is already particularly easy. Consuming a c library with
bindings or a DBUS api is considerably more complicated (at least in
java). Not to mention the potential problems with breaking
compatibility with the library consumers with future changes.
API.opensuse.org already defines a programming language independent
API, why do you need another?

Agreed. Sure, some features are more complicated than just parsing XML
received via HTTP (local build), but in these cases we can as well use
the osc program externally. I think we should rather make sure that osc
(the program) is scripting-friendly.

Then there's also the problem of coordination, that the SoC student(s)
working on the common library will block others' work on the actual
client programs. I think the students will have enough fun meeting the
SoC deadlines themselves ;-).

Michal