Re: [opensuse-buildservice] openSUSE and QT locale againt gettext
  • From: Nikolay Derkach <nderkach@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 29 Mar 2008 19:15:26 +0300
В Сбт, 29/03/2008 в 16:32 +0100, Dirk Stoecker пишет:
On Sat, 29 Mar 2008, Nikolay Derkach wrote:

to make it a bit more user freindly I want to translate merkaartor (in
Application:Geo). This is a QT4 software with tr()'s everywhere in the
source, but no localisation done yet.

Now my questions is - how to do that for linux? QT uses the linguist and
it's own fileformat, whereas under linux gettext is used. Is there a style
guide or a generic approach for QT localization under Linux? I know KDE
uses gettext as well, but never looked into the details. I also did not
find something helpful when using Google. Any tips?

There is a pretty good general explanation in the official Qt
documentation: http://doc.trolltech.com/4.3/i18n.html

This answer how to translate Qt. That was not the question. The question
is "How to translate Qt in the context of Linux, which is using a
different system called gettext". This are two totally different things.

Translation system are something that depends on the project. You can't
say "all Linux applications use gettext" or something.

Topics here are:
- Is there a way to use gettext instead of Qt internal format

Yes, it's possible in theory (again, if a project is designed to use
gettext), but I haven't seen a single Qt app using gettext.

- In case Qt internal is recommended, where are the Qt-files to be stored

There is always a directory for translations which contains two files
for each language (ts - translation source and qm - Qt messages). Ts are
produced with lupdate, while binary qm files are made with linguist.

- How is the packaging done and lots of stuff like that.

If an application doesn't use translations complied into a binary, then
you should add .qm files to your package.

I hope it helps.

PS: I've looked into merkaartor and it uses Qt translation system, this means
you should follow
the Qt documentation I pointed above to localise this application.

--
Regards, Nikolay Derkach