Re: [opensuse-buildservice] Can I stop revision incrementing?
  • From: Dirk Stoecker <opensuse@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2008 16:57:43 +0100 (CET)
On Thu, 27 Mar 2008, John Calcote wrote:

This sort of thing happens in inter-team development using an SCM tool
like subversion, as well. Sometimes, your friend needs some of your
changes before you think they're quite "baked", so you do an
"intermediate check-in", often to a branch.

That's why I most of the time use XP (eXtreme Programming):
- Always have a running version
- Do changes in minor steps
- Check in at the end of the work day
- Never check in broken stuff
and thus
- Always have a running version :-)

Increases the number of revisions, but you always have a ... (I think now I made this point clear :-)

And BTW to get XP working at all you need to think about interfaces between the modules much more and thus these get much better and maintaining gets easier.

Side note: Yesterday I removed an interface deprecated over 2 years ago and converted the last of our software modules to IPV6.

Ciao