Re: [opensuse-buildservice] Can I stop revision incrementing?
  • From: "John Calcote" <john.calcote@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2008 09:42:10 -0600
On Thu, Mar 27, 2008 at 9:30 AM, Dirk Stoecker <opensuse@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Thu, 27 Mar 2008, John Calcote wrote:
Your method of looking at the revision number has some quirks:

a) Every file is actually released, thought not throught the open
interface, but everytime throught the API.
b) How do you want to distinguish between changes you have done and
automatic rebuilds?
c) How do you want to track down problems? You cannot find out the OBS
repository version from your revision number anymore and thus it's hard to
find a bug in a special release.
d) Some more things I forgot.

Why do you assume releases must be incremented by one always? The
only real requirement is, than a later version has a higher number. The
major and minor version are for the end user. The revisions are for
package management systems.

Right you are. I wasn't thinking of the revision number as a form of
repository revision - which is exactly what it is. Instead, I was
thinking of it as a value assigned to a set of *published* sources.

For example, when I work on one of my software projects written in C,
I often make several changes to the set of source files in the project
*before* I commit these changes to the SVN repository. During this
period, my initial set of changes are probably buggy, so I do some
testing and debugging before I commit to SVN.

The point is, there is no revision number to track the differences
that occur between debugging sessions -- only between between SVN
commits. I was trying to treat the OBS the same way I treat SVN. I
make changes to package sources until I'm happy with a change set, and
*then* I commit. The problem here is that I can't debug some of these
"inter-commit" changes until I can get them up to the OBS servers -
which requires an OBS commit.

This sort of thing happens in inter-team development using an SCM tool
like subversion, as well. Sometimes, your friend needs some of your
changes before you think they're quite "baked", so you do an
"intermediate check-in", often to a branch.

John