Re: [opensuse-buildservice] Can I stop revision incrementing?
  • From: "John Calcote" <john.calcote@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2008 09:29:39 -0600
Dirk,

On Thu, Mar 27, 2008 at 9:22 AM, Dirk Stoecker <opensuse@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Thu, 27 Mar 2008, John Calcote wrote:

> there is no reason to increment the revision number between builds. In
> individual development, one doesn't increment the revision number
> unless a revision has become public. However, this appears not to be
> true - the revision is auto-incremented even if no repository of a
> package is published.

I and most others also do increment revision for each build. That's why
you have Major version, minor version and revision in most software
projects. I use following in everything I do:

Major version: Big changes (for me this never changes, as I make no big
changes, but always incremental ones). A number with 1.
(one exception: libraries, here I have major versions :-)
Minor version: New release. A number starting with 1.
Revision: Source changed, new build. A number starting with 1.

There are lots of different forms around there regarding the start number,
the way how number of digits handled (e.g. 1.09 compared to 1.9) special
additions, if revision is restarted for new releases or continues, if
dates are used, ...

Okay, I can see your logic. I'll just continue to allow the
auto-increment happen. I guess I was trying to treat my OBS home
project as a form of private development system - like my own laptop -
which is really not true. If I want to do truly private development,
then I should work on my build systems on my own machine until they
work, and THEN commit.

This approach works fine, as long as I don't need to do any 64-bit
builds (which I do), because my laptop is only a 32-bit machine. So,
then I use the OBS as a build system test platform for these other
architectures. I guess my solution is to get a 64-bit home machine
that is capable of running most of the targeted operating systems. :)

Regards,
John