Re: [opensuse-buildservice] Can I stop revision incrementing?
  • From: Dirk Stoecker <opensuse@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2008 16:22:44 +0100 (CET)
On Thu, 27 Mar 2008, John Calcote wrote:

there is no reason to increment the revision number between builds. In
individual development, one doesn't increment the revision number
unless a revision has become public. However, this appears not to be
true - the revision is auto-incremented even if no repository of a
package is published.

I and most others also do increment revision for each build. That's why you have Major version, minor version and revision in most software projects. I use following in everything I do:

Major version: Big changes (for me this never changes, as I make no big
changes, but always incremental ones). A number with 1.
(one exception: libraries, here I have major versions :-)
Minor version: New release. A number starting with 1.
Revision: Source changed, new build. A number starting with 1.

There are lots of different forms around there regarding the start number, the way how number of digits handled (e.g. 1.09 compared to 1.9) special additions, if revision is restarted for new releases or continues, if dates are used, ...

Buildservice actually has major and minor revision also. Major is repository version, minor is the build number.

Ciao