Re: [opensuse-buildservice] Re: [opensuse-project] How should we inform packagers about new upstreamversions?
  • From: Christian Boltz <opensuse@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 22 Mar 2008 00:32:00 +0100
Hello,

(sorry for answering that late - just catching up my mail queue after
vacation)

on Freitag, 7. März 2008, Adrian Schröter wrote:
On Thursday 06 March 2008 22:52:12 wrote Christian Boltz:
on Mittwoch, 5. März 2008, Dr. Peter Poeml wrote:
On Thu, Feb 28, 2008 at 09:03:24AM +0100, Adrian Schröter wrote:
Given that the bugreporting link is quite new and probably many
projects still didn't set a bug owner, I'd name it a good start.

True, we could run a script and set a default everywhere (for example
just picking the first person of the project).

Would someone complain about this ?

Just do it [tm] ;-)

Or (IMHO even better) change the code to default to the first maintainer
if no bugowner is set.

However, you are right that reporting a bug against a package in
the build service is too difficult - you have to login to
(build.)opensuse.org to find the bugowner / bugzilla link and then
again to (bugzilla.)novell.com to enter the bugreport.

@Peter: Maybe you didn't have to login twice because you were logged in
to *.novell.com (bugzillla etc.) and/or *.opensuse.org (wiki, build
service etc.) before already.

Long time ago, when the bugreporting link was discussed, I proposed
to use a little script on bugzilla.novell.com that basically
enforces the login and then redirects from ...?user=username to
enter_bug.cgi?assigned_to=mail@xxxxxxxxxxx&...[correct component
etc.]

This method would only need one login (at bugzilla) while still
being spam-proof since it only contains the username, not the mail
address. The link could be published everywhere (software.o.o,
Packager: tag etc.) as a direct bugreporting link.

For reasons I don't know the current, IMHO awkward, solution which
needs two logins was chosen instead. [That's not meant as an
offence, I just mention it as a fact.]

We could create direct bugzilla links in software.o.o to buzilla, but
it would expose the email adress to spammers....

I'm afraid you missed my point :-(

Let me give a step-by-step example for a package built by user "tux"
with mail address tux@xxxxxxxxxxxx

The example intentionally does not include repository, package name and
version etc. for simplification. They are just additional URL
parameters.

* bugreporting link on software.o.o and in the packager tag:

https://bugzilla.novell.com/obs.cgi?user=tux

-> no mail address exposed, only the username
(could be even replaced by some random number that is stored in
iChain if you really want)

* obs.cgi sourcecode:

#!/usr/bin/pseudocode ;-)

use iChain;
if ( ! iChain::logged_in() ) {
redirect_to_login_page();
} else {
$assignee = url_param('user');
$assignee_mail = iChain::lookup_user_mail($assignee);
redirect_to("enter_bug.cgi?assigned_to=" . $assignee_mail);
}

* what obs.cgi does:

-> enforce bugzilla login first
-> then redirect to enter_bug.cgi?assigned_to=tux@xxxxxxxxxxx

* important: obs.cgi already runs on the bugzilla domain, so you don't
need to login again after being redirected to enter_bug.cgi

Well, that's it already ;-)
I hope my idea is better understandable now.

For that reason, we decided to go via authentificated build.o.o for
now, it should be usually just one mouse click more

... and the login on (build).opensuse.org to be able to access the
current bugreporting link ...

(given you use the browsers login/password filling).

Of course - if you have saved your password in the browser, you will
never have to login manually. (You can also patch kdesu to save the
root password - this avoids the need to enter it whenever you want to
break^Wconfigure your system ;-)

I hate saving my passwords (not only in the browser) for security
reasons. Maybe I'm a bit too paranoid about it, but better safe than
sorry ;-)

Regards,

Christian Boltz
--
Gibt es ein Buch über das maßvolle Verwenden von Fußnoten?
Wenn ja, dann bin ich bereit, Dir ein Exemplar zu schicken.