Re: [opensuse-buildservice] Automatically package a new upstream version
  • From: Anicka Bernathova <anicka@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2008 11:57:03 +0100
Hello!

It would certainly not work in many cases because of some patches, or
changes in the dependencies or for a tons of other reasons. But it would
still work in a lot of cases, wouldn't it?

Unfortunately, although your idea seems great, the problem seems to be very
difficult. I have an experience with much simpler task: update automagically
just a small and quite uniform part of our distribution, perl modules. And
while most of my work is actually done by my update scripts, I still have to
manually and pretty carefully check every single package.

First problem: We have a lots of patches in our packages. Ideally, every single
patch should be checked during an update because although it might apply
correctly, it could make no sense anymore or even do some harm. (Upstream can
address the same issue in a very different way than us.)

Second problem: Testing. While perl modules have usually great testcases and
when they build, you can be quite sure they are working, most of other packages
cannot be tested that easily. My experience says that cases when the package
compiles but does not test are very frequent. As we do not want broken
packages, we would have to write a testsuite, that is able to run
automatically, for every single package.

And third: Although it sounds funny, it is very difficult to produce a RPM
changelog from an upstream changelog automatically. Changelogs have various
formats and even if authors stick to their choice strictly and you know them
all, you probably cannot even distinguish them automatically.

Anicka